We have some great mid-summer tips from Lou at ACE Hardware. Mid-summer can be a hard time for a garden, it’s hot, and sometimes things start looking rough. Following these tips can really help.
1. If possible, make sure you are watering on a regular basis. More often than not, people over-water their plants, which actually does not help create a thick lawn. You want the roots of the grass to dig far into the ground; accordingly, if you over-water, the grass will not reach deeper for moisture. At this point in the season, you should be watering twice a week for about 45 minutes.
2. Apply more seed to ensure that there are no bare spots. Use the right seed mixture for your area to fill in thin spaces, cover with black dirt, plus a little peat moss, and water those areas every day for a few minutes.
3. Apply natural soil treatments such as Milorganite, Jonathan Green Magic-Cal and Ringer Lawn Restore. These can be distributed across your lawn at any time to treat the soil and help promote a healthier lawn.
4. For the garden, turn the soil to eliminate compaction. Apply natural compost when turning the soil to keep the soil fortified with nutrients so that all of your flowers and vegetables continue growing.
5. If you are noticing any disease or bugs eating away at your plants, try applying a powdered treatment to the leaves. Such products include Seven or Captain Jacks by Bonide to eliminate the problem and help the plants grow. Always read the label on the bottles or cans for the correct use and application of the products.
ACE Hardware is offering a $25 gift card to one lucky reader! You can shop for some summer spruce up items to help keep your garden looking great all the way until winter! USA only, enter via the form below.