Star Wars Crochet Kit

The Star Wars Crochet kit is about the cutest thing I have seen in a long time! It comes with everything needed to make a Yoda and a Storm Trooper. The kit has the crochet hook, yarn, and embellishments in addition to a book of patterns to make even more Star Wars amigurumi.

Star Wars Crochet Kit

So, even though I have crocheted before I did have a hard time with the patterns. If you aren’t super familiar with following crochet patterns you will likely have the same issue. It’s not that the crochet itself is hard, it’s just very helpful if you have a working knowledge of the terms.

I started on my Yoda head and undid it a few times because I wasn’t getting the same look as in the book. This isn’t to say the book is bad, in fact, it has a lot of great info and color photos to help you create your Star Wars characters. It’s just if you don’t know what things mean, it can be confusing. So I wouldn’t really say the kit is for beginners, but it could be with a bit of coaching (there are helpful tutorials on YouTube).

Overall though, this kit is darling and I am so excited to make my first amigurumi from it! The fact that it will be YODA just makes it even more awesome!

The Star Wars Crochet kit is perfect for the geek in your life, but if that isn’t your thing I did notice a lot of other really cute crochet kits available too (Disney, Frozen, Peanuts).

I received a kit for my review.

Easy DIY home projects to beat the heat and your energy bill

Summer has arrived and while the temperature is rising, your energy costs don’t have to. The experts at ENERGY STAR want to help you keep the cool air in and control your utility bills, while helping to fight climate change. Energy efficiency doesn’t have to cost you a lot of time or money. Try out these easy DIY projects for energy savings at home.
DIY- Easy to Moderate Effort:

  • Install and properly use a programmable thermostat: A programmable thermostat is one of the best ways to save energy all year long. Use it to automatically lower your air conditioning and heating when you don’t need it. Raising the temperature seven degrees when no one’s home and four degrees at bedtime during the summer, along with proper programming in the winter, can save you more than $180 annually.
  • HVAC Maintenance: When was the last time you checked to make sure that your HVAC system was working properly? A few simple moves will make sure that your system is working efficiently.
    Check your air filter every month, changing it whenever it is dirty (at least every 3 months). Dirty filters block air flow, making your system work harder to keep your house cool.
  • Your car isn’t the only thing you own that needs scheduled maintenance. Have a contractor give your HVAC equipment an annual tune up. Your system will work better, keeping you cooler all summer long.
  • Install ENERGY STAR certified LEDs: If you still haven’t switched out your old light bulbs for energy efficient options, an ENERGY STAR LED bulb makeover is a great summer project! ENERGY STAR certified bulbs use 70-90 percent less energy than incandescent bulbs, giving off much less heat inside your home. They can save $30-$75 each in energy bills and last over 20 years, so this is a project that will make a difference for years to come. With prices falling dramatically all over the country, now is the time to make the switch to ENERGY STAR LED bulbs!
  • Shade your home: Outfit your home with shades, blinds, curtains and awnings, especially on the south and west sides of your home where the sun is hottest. This simple move will keep the hot rays of the sun out of your home, bringing down the temperature.

If you are looking for a bigger project, the ENERGY STAR Cooling page has instructions for duct sealing and insulation, sealing and insulating air leaks and more here.

Check out this informative infographic for more ideas on how to keep cool in the summer heat while saving money!

Cool Ways to Save with ENERGY STAR infographic

Should you repair or replace that appliance?

Sometimes things break, and when they do there is always the question of replacing it, or repairing it. Most of the time it’s cheaper to repair an appliance than to replace it. However, there does come a time when it’s time to replace things.

Luckily, we were sent this handy infographic to help you figure out if it’s better to repair it, or if it might be time to replace it.


Infographic thanks to Fixed. by Assurant.

This entry was posted in diy.

Materially Crafted

I always love a fun new book, especially one like Materially Crafted: A DIY Primer for the Design-Obsessed! Packed full of fun crafts to try, this book is sure to get your creative juices flowing.

I love that there are so many different project ideas, using various materials. Author Victoria Hudgins, creator of the popular design blog A Subtle Revelry, shows us ways to use loads of different crafting materials—from spray paint and concrete to thread, wax, and paper! The book has more than 30 easy projects, and is sure to have something fun for everyone.

The instructions are clear, and the book has a lot of photos (a must in my opinion). I am so excited to try the projects inside. With spring just around the corner, the concrete planters are high on my to try list. And of course, the fun cake ideas are great to try any time of the year.

Disclosure: I received a copy of the book for my review. This post also includes an affiliate link.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
  • RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest