Our neighbors on both sides grow grapes on the fence. This often means that we have vines coming very far over into our yard, which we usually just let grow. Sometimes though, we have to trim them. This year I decided to try making a wreath from the cuttings.
Starting with a nice pile of vines, I simply removed all the leaves and some of the tendrils. Some tendrils I left on because they add a bit of character to the wreath. Once the leaves were all removed, I picked one vine to start with and created a circle from it, twisting the two ends around each other. Vines were then added in, one at a time, wrapping around each other as they go. I would start vines at different points in the circle, tucking one end into already wrapped vines, so the thickness of the wreath was more consistent.
Now the wreath is drying. I’m not sure how long that process will take since this is the first time I have tried making one. Once it is dry and feels stronger I will add some fun fall or Halloween decorations to it.
It’s such a fun and easy project to do, I really don’t know why I never did it before! And it’s a great way to use grapevines that you have to trim. Next time around I am going to try some different shapes, just for fun!